20 Jul Shiitake Sauted Mushrooms
Week 4 of New South’s Summer CSA
Another summer favorite included in this weeks box are freshly harvested shiitake mushrooms! These gems came from Sweden Creek Farm up in Northwest Arkansas. Sweden Creek grows edible herbs, and flowers as well as organic mushrooms. You can read more about Carol Anne and Curly HERE.
We found a lovely recipe for our mushrooms this week. It’s simple, easy and low calorie!
- 1 lb. fresh sliced shiitake mushrooms (ideally organic)
- 3 Tbsp. low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. each of fresh rosemary, oregano, or feta cheese
- Chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance its health-promoting properties.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and slice.
- Heat broth in a stainless steel skillet. When broth begins to steam, add mushrooms and cover for 3 minutes.
- Remove skillet cover and let mushrooms cook for 4 more minutes.
- Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and whatever optional ingredients desired.
If you’d like to learn more about shiitake mushrooms, check out our shiitake mushroom storage tips & recipes for more info!