16 Jul Country Casserole
(Recipe from Jennifer at Natural Things Foods Store)
This casserole is super easy to put together and tastes great. We used Grass Roots Farmer’s Cooperative mild pork sausage for its great flavor and texture. Definitely a meat and potatoes dish!
- 3 medium potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 pound ground mild pork sausage
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (any variety)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small skillet, cook the sausage over medium high heat until no pink remains.
- While the meat is cooking, melt the 1/2 stick of butter. Pour it into an 8×8 glass pan.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/8 inch rounds. Add to the butter in the pan, and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove cooked sausage from the skillet, leaving some of the drippings behind. Add the onion and peppers and cook until just tender.
- Arrange the potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the sausage over potatoes and sprinkle the onion and peppers over the meat.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, leaving a small corner open or cut a small slit in the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until potatoes are completely tender. Remove aluminum foil. Sprinkle cheese over all and bake for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.