29 Jul Farmstand Rice
Posted at 08:24h in Cherry Tomatoes, Garlic, Okra, Onions, Peppers (Sweet), Recipes, Summer Squash/Zucchini
(Recipe from Jennifer at Natural Things Foods Store)
This recipe uses lots of delicious things that can be found at any local farmstand or farmer’s market. It is also a great way to use up leftover rice.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 pound Grass Roots ground turkey
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 small summer squash, finely chopped
- 1/2 pint fresh okra, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric root powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup grated mild cheese
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey over high heat until no pink remains and it is browning at the edges. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In same skillet, add about a tablespoon oil and warm over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and starting to brown and caramelize.
- Add squash and okra and cook for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until warmed through.
- Stir in paprika, turmeric, chili powder, and salt & pepper.
- Add rice and stir together. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Add ground turkey and grated cheese. Stir together to melt the cheese into the warm vegetable mixture. Enjoy!