16 Jul Okra Corn Cakes
(Recipe from Jennifer at Natural Things Foods Store)
Most Southerners will tell you they love some fried okra. Who doesn’t?! However, I find it tedious to spend time breading and frying the lot. These easy corn cakes give the same crunch and okra flavor without all of the mess. They make the perfect accompaniment for a plate of purple hull peas, too ?
Okra Corn Cakes
- 1 cup yellow corn grits (coarse corn meal is just fine here)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash pepper
- 1-1/2 cups sliced okra
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine grits, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add okra slices, and mix to completely coat each piece in the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, oil, and milk. Add to dry mixture all at once, stirring until all is just moist.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add about 2 tablespoons oil. Once it is heated, drop the batter by heaping tablespoons into the skillet. Spread out slightly. Cook until golden brown, turning over carefully. Cook second side until golden and batter is cooked through. Serve with some tasty purple hull peas!