11 Aug Southern Stir Fry
(Recipe from Jennifer at Natural Things Foods Store)
Instead of an Asian wok, the Southern equivalent is definitely the cast iron skillet. Cooking these summer vegetables over high heat seals in flavor, as well as staving off the slimy texture that okra can take on when cooked. Quick, flavorful, and nutritious (also vegetarian and vegan).
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups very small okra pods, whole
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3-4 small eggplants, chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- In a large cast iron skillet over high heat, warm 1 teaspoon oil to almost smoking. Add okra pods all at once, and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown. Add eggplant, and stir, cooking another minute. Add pepper, stirring and cooking for about 2 minutes more. Add chopped tomato and remove skillet from the heat. Squeeze the juice from half of a lemon down over the entire dish, stirring to incorporate. Add salt and pepper. Stir in the cooked lentils. Enjoy!