29 Jul Farmstand Rice
Posted at 08:24h in Recipes
(Recipe from Jennifer at Natural Things Foods Store)
This recipe uses lots of delicious things that can be found at any local farmstand or farmer’s market. It is also a great way to use up leftover rice.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 pound Grass Roots ground turkey
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 small summer squash, finely chopped
- 1/2 pint fresh okra, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric root powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup grated mild cheese
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey over high heat until no pink remains and it is browning at the edges. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In same skillet, add about a tablespoon oil and warm over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until tender and starting to brown and caramelize.
- Add squash and okra and cook for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until warmed through.
- Stir in paprika, turmeric, chili powder, and salt & pepper.
- Add rice and stir together. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Add ground turkey and grated cheese. Stir together to melt the cheese into the warm vegetable mixture. Enjoy!