19 Aug Old Fashioned Casserole
(Recipe from Jennifer at Natural Things Foods Store)
Any of you folks out there who were kids of the 1970s will be familiar with this version of a casserole. We had it at least once a week at my house! It may be old fashioned, but it is still delicious, especially if you are hungry for a bit of nostalgia. So sit back, watch some episodes of the Brady Bunch and get groovy with vegetables!
Old Fashioned Casserole
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sweet peppers, chopped
- half a pint of fresh okra, chopped into rings
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (we used Grass Roots chicken tenders)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped, including green parts
- 1 package butter crackers, crushed (we used Late July organic classic rich crackers)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat a bit of oil over medium high heat. Add onions and peppers and cook until starting to get soft. Add garlic, cooking for another minute. Add okra and tomatoes, sprinkling all with a bit of salt & pepper. Really let the tomatoes cook down and get a bit of browning on the vegetables, being careful to stir and prevent any burning.
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in sour cream and cooked chicken. Dump into 9 x 13 pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with green onions and with cheddar cheese.
- Mix melted butter and crushed crackers together, then sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. Enjoy!