16 Jul Purple Hull Peas
(Recipe from Jennifer at Natural Things Foods Store)
Normally when cooking beans or peas, I am starting with dried. Adding flavor is a necessity. I will throw in vegetables, broth, seasonings, and even bacon. The purple hull peas in this week’s share were so fresh, I wanted to preserve the flavor of the peas themselves.
Remember the Chow Chow we made a couple of weeks ago? That is my favorite topping for field peas. Adds beautiful color, flavor, and crunch!
Purple Hull Peas
- 1 bag fresh purple hull peas
- salt & pepper
- Rinse and drain the peas to remove any grass or hulls. Place the peas in a large pot. Fill the pot with water. Add salt & pepper (I also added a little bit of white onion slices).
- Bring the water to a full boil. Stirring, reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer the peas, stirring occasionally, for one hour.
- Take out about 4 peas and cool them. Taste them to make sure the peas are tender throughout.
- Drain the peas and enjoy!